Monday, July 23, 2007

Obsolete - LA store specializing in the weird and wonderful





I think there are a few store in the country doing pretty amazing things for retail (namely offering amazing product in wonderful environments and fearlessly promoting their singular vision in an artful way). I include in this list ABC Carpet & Home & John Derian in NYC, Trove in Laguna Beach, CA, and also Obsolete in LA.

Trove
John Derian
ABC Carpet & Home

I have a thing for the old and discarded that was once useful. I like purpose in design and there is something about keeping artifacts alive in your home that makes you remember that you're just taking care of the things your grandchildren will inherit (so buy well, my friends! Invest in what you love!).

Obsolete is just so dreamy, so weird. It's like America's Deyrolle. Enjoy.

www.deyrolle.fr

4 comments:

Jen @ The Cottage Nest said...

I just wanted to pop my head in and say hi and thanks! That was awesome advice you gave me on my blog! Now, where do I find the good jeans?! I would much rather have 2 good pairs. That is a great idea. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me. Jen

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Start at Nordstrom.com... try brands like Paige Premium Denim or Seven for All Mankind. I actually find them a little hard in terms of fit, so if you do too, call a Nordstrom store and ask to talk to a denim expert. Tell them you want these brands (listed above) and ask if they have something similar in terms of fit. They will. Then, if you don't have a store neaby, order a few pair and return what doesn't fit. It will be worth it.... I will google around today and see what stores in your city might have good options.

I love your blog, BTW. I am obsessed with cottage living!

robyn said...

Interesting post and great store, thanks for the info.

Mélanie said...

I love weird antiques ..I'm sure I would love this shop ...