Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Isaac Mizrahi wears Adidas apres-sport slides to cocktail parites.

With a suit, no less. And yeah, he's still cool.

I met Isaac briefly at a work-related cocktail party to celebrate the launch of his second collection of handbags. He was a little tired, but mellow and friendly and probably not too excited about glad-handing overly eager buyers like me, but he was super gracious.

I made lame small talk with him only to realize later I really should have asked him, what would you like to design that you haven't done yet? Hopefully not hotels (too obvious, plus he says he's busy remodeling his apartment at the moment).

I mean, after Target, where DO they go?

Isaac needs a Kennedy Honors award or something. He's so totally American. Really an Icon. His designs are so fucking optimistic that he just can't seem to hold against a world where Gareth Pugh captures the minds of fashion lemmings, but really... Isaac is all about pure happiness and optimism. I love that guy.

7 comments:

franki durbin said...

I adore Isaac for the very reason you cited: his designs are so optimistic. How can a girl not feel giddy stepping into a Mizrahi? ;)

girl meets glamour said...

I couldn't agree more...give this man an award!!! So great you got to met him...thanks for sharing. I love a man that can wear sneakers with a suit :)

~Kate

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

That quintessential Americanness is what I love about him and his work. Hate it when people are snippy about his work for Target - they obviously have never had to make a comeback.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Yay! I am so glad we are all on the same page with Isaac. While I love a good heaping helping of bitchy cattiness. I do like that he's not that kind of designer. He's not catty, he's just witty and playful and fun. I think his tabletop stuff for Target is adorable, frankly. Target's never had a better designer since his all-American vibe is a perfect match for the sunny retailer.

beachbungalow8 said...

i just love isaac. and if i had crazy jewish curly hair, i would total work the headband too. i want to hang out with him and his mom. play bridge or something.
he's the shizzle

katiedid said...

Ditto! And his bedding, throw pillows, etc. are not bad! Perfect for the tween set, like my daughters!

ALL THE BEST said...

Love, love, love your blog! I just found it today by pure chance. I have been missing out! I will add you to my blog roll.