Monday, August 27, 2007

New decorno to drool over.

So, if you read the last post, you know I love Powell's books in Portland. We stopped there on our way from Seattle to central Oregon and I got 4 fantastic books, including:



This is more text-heavy than any decor book I have, but it's great. I loved reading how they think through the design process. The text is concise and well-written. A fast read and really well worth it.



This one I really loved. I love seeing how people really live in their spaces, as opposed to photos that seem super staged and empty and cold. Everyone from designers, to fashionistas, to the editor of Paper magazine, to Ruben Toledo are feastured in this book, so it's a nice cross-section of design-minded people. They also feature Julian Schnabel's place which is you saw Basquiat is yes just like that. Love, love, love this book. Published in 1999, but a lot of the home still look great. Now I know I won't be bored.

OH! One more thing... I read that Ian Schrager is teaming up with Mariott to do 100 hotels. What did we do to deserve this?? If I hear anything else referred to as a "lifestyle" (store/spa/resort/hotel/brand) I might vomit. Everything is becoming a little overdesigned. It's starting to make me itch and get hives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sooooo late, probably no-one will ever see it, but I just discovered your blog and can't stop reading even though it's 10:30 at night and I'm still at work -- and I had to agree that "lifestyle" is a word that has to go. I don't have a lifestyle, I just have a medium screwed-up life.

Decorno said...

I don't have a lifestyle, I just have a medium screwed-up life.

me too! :)

I am so glad you like the blog. I can't tell you how amusing it is to get all the comments emailed to me every day. I have awesome readers, as it turns out.