Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Testy Tastemaker, Mayer Rus


Please tell me you read the last page of House and Garden (actually, please tell me you are now reading it cover to cover since for the last two years this magazine has been ON FIRE and it's quickly becoming as lust-worthy as Elle Decor...lil' miss perfect editrix Margaret Russell is like the Tracy Flick of shelter mag editors... she couldn't put together a bad issue if she tried, but she should watch out because H&G is nipping at her heels, as is the pre-school younger sister Domino, of course).

Rus, I think, used to be the editor of Interior Design magazine, and he first made my heart flutter when Sheila Bridges did a quick feature on him during her short-lived and much-missed "Designer Living" show on Fine Living TV. He had that kind of campy and fabulous NY apartment where people live in 400 sq feet of space, and because they have no possible reason to splurge on, say, a car, they buy ridiculous things like $1200 Hermes ice buckets. I LOVE that shit. It's like using Le Mer on your cracked heels. BECAUSE YOU CAN.

Rus is your classic over-the-top design hag ready with a drink in hand and a bon mot to keep you laughing. His editorial hand is all over H&G magazine, but it's his raucous and bitchy "Testy Tastemaker" column at the back of the H&G that really kills me. I love him.

You can read him here



Rus should be more famous.

14 comments:

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

How, I wonder, will he fare in LA ? The two seem so diametrically opposed.

franki durbin said...

uh oh... what's wrong with using la mer on my cracked heels?

kidding!

because I can, darling...;)

ALL THE BEST said...

I'm with you!! I LOVE that shit too! I love to read about it and dream about it!

becoming-home said...

Thanks for the tip. I love what he said about miami beach.. but then again I love anything about miami beach since we got married there it holds a very special place in my heart:)

PS, have you seen these guilded moose architectural reviews?

I totally thought of you reading this one! Its snarky but with a good eye:

http://thegildedmoose.blogspot.com/2006/08/very-special-gilded-moose-architecture.html

Lucia B. said...

Thank you for writing about him.
I have been his faithful fan ever since 2005 and read his every single TT in every issue !

Am just an Interior Architect back to Germany after 4 years in the US and 7 years in Italy.

kcdesign said...

Adore Mayer - take a quick trip through the mag, then read Mayer first, then back to Dominique. Then, over days and days the whole "book." I love your blog - just discovered it recently, so thank you.

Mayer said...

Mayer Rus should be more famous. He's a fucking genius....and gorgeous too!

decorno.blogspot.com said...

"Mayer" - - let me pray this is indeed my hero, Mr. Rus.

Celia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Where can I read Mayer Rus's articles now?? I was so disappointed to get the card in the mail that H&G is no longer going to be published! I went to the last page first just to read the Testy Tastemaker! Please let me know where I can find him now!!

mbrainard said...

Well this month he is in Vogue Living, a magazine I picked up that I had never seen before. All us die hards that loved House and Garden are now casting around for a new magazine to love. I can't believe Conde Nast picked Domino to replace H&G.

dhd said...

welcome to the wow power leveling cheap service site, buy wow power leveling cheap wow gold,wow gold,world of warcraft power leveling buy wow gold

ed said...

A片,A片18成人,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人影片,成人文章,成人小說,微風成人區,成人交友,成人文學,成人漫畫,成人遊戲,免費成人影片 ,成人論壇,愛情公寓,情色,色情網站,情色A片,色情小說,情色文學情色貼圖,日本A片,A片下載,情色A片,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,微風成人,成人網站,成人光碟,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人影城徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,抓姦,外遇,尋人

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?