Friday, August 24, 2007

Thanks a lot, Ian Schrager.


Here's pic of the front desk at the Kube Hotel in Paris. Yes, that is a glass box outside of the hotel with 2 sad-sack reservation clerks held captive in their trying-too-hard workstation.

Who else is getting tired of hotels trying too hard? Any other groaner examples?

I stayed at the Husdon Hotel recently (which is nothing more than a youth hostel with alcohol) and they now have plastic-wrapped plastic cups in the hotel room. I called housekeeping and the woman on the phone actually said, "I know, I am sorry. It's kind of Holiday Inn, isn't it?" I was later told that it's because guests had recently taken to chucking their water glasses out the window to shut up the noisy patrons of the courtyard bar down below.

At any rate, tired of trendy hotels, I recently stayed at a total 2.5 star Hilton cheapie hotel and it was great. I was actually able to make myself coffee in the room and not have to order it up for $16. How novel. It was nice to know I wasn't paying for a backlit glass floor in the bar or paying for 70 Stark Ghost chairs scattered all over the lobby. I just paid for a truly comfortable bed and a place so quiet no one had to throw anything out the window to get the trying-too-hard guests to shut the hell up.

10 comments:

robyn said...

lol That was great and true!

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

I don't get the whole hotel thing at all and I probably never will.
I once had a prospective client ask me to recreate the St Martin (another Schrager gem) for her home - well when it dawned on me what she meant, I laughed... out the door and all the way to my car.
Now the throwing of objects in a temper, that, I do understand - fabulous!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I stayed at the Paramount in New York when it first opened (I think that is a Schrager). That hotel is such a joke. The room consisted of a futony floor bed with a 10 inch periphery of space before you hit walls. Thank GOD for Tripadvisor.com. I will ever be duped by trick photography ever again.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Brilliant Asylum - I totally agree. The place is a gross.

It was recently purchased by the Hard Rock group. Ick. There is actually a woman who lived there in the Paramount because the Morgan hotel group couldn't buy her out. So every time I had to stay there, she just wandered around, chatting up guests in the lobby and in the Dean & Deluca downstairs. She was a riot.

ALL THE BEST said...

I second the thank GOD for Tripadvisor.com! Forget all the gimmicks! We recently stayed at a small hotel and they asked what time we would like coffee delivered to our room, yet neglected to mention the outrageous charge!

Suzy said...

Ha! That is so true. I have stayed in a few hotels in my time (used to travel a bit for work) and some of them were so bad, they had clearly forgotten they worked in the 'hospitality' industry. Some examples - not having an iron, or having to go down to the laundry room at 6am in a nightgown to do it myself because they won't bring one to the room or do it for you..., sinks in the bathroom too small to fill up the kettle (and no bottled water provided). I could go on, but I'm sure I'd bore you.

Habitually Chic said...

Oh no! The Hudson is the worst! I don't know why the word hasn't gotten around more. Next time you are about to come to NYC, let me know and I'll give you a bunch of chic yet quiet hotels to choose from.

katiedid said...

Ha! Those poor wretches. I haven't stayed in a New York hotel since I have family there, but this does not appeal.

franki durbin said...

I actually find this look to remarkably similar to the 'tombs' that smokers are relegated to in airports. So to place two girls inside it and call them front desk associates is comical. yes... sometimes these hotels are simply trying too hard....

John said...

I stayed at the Kube a few months ago for work, and, let me tell you, the big glass ice cube of a reception desk is the least offensive aspect of that place! Although the rooms are actually a bit more understated, the rest of the place is a faux fur, fiber optic, black light mess!