Sunday, September 2, 2007

Victoria Hagen. Who knew?

Maybe it was that weird, kinda-smug, practiced smile she gives the camera in every portrait related to features about her work in mags like Architectural Digest or Met Home, but I was always a little turned off by Victoria Hagen. Then she launched her Target line which made me more skeptical. If you live in Portland, you suffered with a huge Michael Graves monstrosity in your lovely little town, so by association, it makes you nervous of the Target designers. Nevertheless, I picked up Country Living (I know! The horrors!) But like Cottage Living, they have smart ideas for your mythological, someday-I-will-have-it vacation home, and every issue they have at least one worthy spread to make up for the kind of scary make-it-yourself-from-and-egg-carton craft idea.

Anyway, in the current issue they feature Victoria Hagen's Hampton's home and it's a casual stunner (if I can mash up the two words, that is). Truly a perfect getaway. Below are images of her residential work (as seen on her corportate website) as well as images from the current issue of Country Living.









I was totally wrong to judge Hagen so harshly and prematurely. Her style is clean & strong and she is the master of the White Hot Room.

12 comments:

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

Hm... are you sure there wasn't a credited stylist for the spread? I find it a little difficult to picture her doing these rooms - they just don't seem brittle enough somehow.

katiedid said...

Hmmm. I have always been a huge fan of Victoria Hagan. I think being a women with kids in the design biz is hugely difficult, so I admire her for that alone. But I have always loved the combination of things she puts together in a clean uncluttered way. They do look a little austere at times, but I attribute that to the timing of photo shoots happening before the clients move in. :)

Cote de Texas said...

I tell you what, most of the "in house" AD interior designers I can do without. Go on their web site and just try to find a handful you like. Victoria is the best of their bunch.

Sarah Jennings said...

Great pictures. I am a fan of Victoria Hagan mainly because of her incredible Wainscott wing chair. It is a beautiful thing to behold!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I have always been a Hagen fan (even though she loves her tote with pictures of her twins on it..hmmm....) Her houses seem sculpted and clean to me. Her rooms and Mariette Himes Gomez's are the reason I kept my AD subscription so long. I recently did not renew (and sent a scathing e:mail that I'm sure was met with either disdain or indifference.) Hagan's beach houses are her strong suit I think. And she does and outstanding family kitchen. She totally get the form and function of it.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Agreed. Why so smug, Victoria? I do love this house though--and surprisingly enough, her Target line. I wish it had been around 10 years ago when my apartment was bare.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

HOBAC - sorry for the delay, but I just checked.. there is no stylist credit for Victoria's Hamptons place... sorry to report her decorative warmth is all her own. :)

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

Must be the photographer then - ha! Wonders never cease!

franki durbin said...

I have the same issue. I see someone who has commercialized themselves and I assume the design lacks soul. But this isn't the case. It is sad, however, that most come to know a designer by way of target rather than a subscription to Architectural Digest, but when the work is good the work is good. And in her case, she's got the portfolio to prove that she is a design force to be reckoned with.

becoming-home said...

I must confess I've bought quite a few of her target pieces. Sometimes you just gotta shop in your price range!

Suzy said...

Hello - I just discovered your blog via another (can't remember which one now!), but it's great. And I agree with you about Hagan, she's got great style, and I admire anyone that can do a cheap and chic line for Target. I just wish it was available outside the US!

Anonymous said...

Hi: I just stumbled onto your blog...I absolutely love everything you post! Acerbic, witty, and downright wonderful.
Penny