Thursday, October 4, 2007

Things that are right...now, always, forever.


To follow up on my bitchy rant about things that are so very wrong, here's something a little more uplifting for the kids.

My official list of things so right and good and stylish and pleasing that they cannot go out of style.

The ring he gave you. I know a few girls now who have actually UPGRADED their wedding or engagement rings. Seriously. This one chick actually just stopped wearing hers until he got the message and bought her a massive new rock. But I do know one woman who wears this old 80's-style gold ring with a marquis diamond and it's exactly the kind that if you got it today you would think, "Is this man my fiance or a fucking 80's time machine?" and you would want to throw the ring back. BUT, when I look at that ring with its slightly dated setting, it really makes me think, "Damn, TWENTY years of marriage." That's impressive. And that's what the ring says to everyone.

The ring he gave you, no matter what, is always right.

La Mer face cream. It's really, truly as magical as they say.

Really good shoes. The first time I even owned shoes that cost more than $250 was just 3 years ago. News flash: I still have them, wear them, and they are still super glamorous. Megan from beachbungalow8 and I were chatting each other up over email today about "investment" pieces. Like a great piece of furniture, shoes are worth it. You'll look great, feel better, and you'll waste less money over time....



Pencil skirts. I guess we're lucky because they are back in a big way, but really, they are never out of style. It's always ok to wear a black pencil skirt and a shrunken black cashmere top and some killer pumps. Sexy secretary circa 1950 is always hot and classic.

White dinner plates. I don't know why people want to eat food off of anything but a blank canvas. Fussy plates with gold trim and images of fllowers and neighing horses? Are you serious? Humble white plates, please. Your food should be the decoration.


A classic 80s-style gold rolex, especially the men's size, but worn on a woman. I have seen this a lot lately and I think to myself, damn, that is genius. See Jennifer Jason Leigh's photograph in the current issue of New York magazine.

New York City. Give me a break with this LA-as-new-center-of-US-culture. I know good things are happening there, but it's still the land of hair-plugged Ari-Gold/Jeremy-Piven-like Ed Hardy-wearing desperate loser "industry" guys. NY, no matter how gentrified it gets, is still New York. When you can walk past a woman who so clearly has a net worth of over a bilion dollars and then smell urine in a doorway just a half block away, you know you're in the headiest mix of people and culture that this country has to offer.

The classic white woven shirt. Carolina Herrera is the patron saint of this article of clothing.

Working your ass off. With magazines like Real Simple preaching this impossible idea of having your shit together on all fronts, you're just left thinking you fail at about 12 things. So, I am official declaring working your ass off (professionally) as something that is right always, now, and forever. It's a very American thing to do, very Gordon Gekko, and you know what? That's ok. While other people are asleep at the wheel trying to find "balance," you and I will just get into the office early, work harder, and make more...all while wearing the fab-again gold Rolex and smiling knowing that at age 50, we get to stop, while someone else is trying to schedule their stupid relaxing Canyon Ranch zen colonic getaway between business trips.

Zebra rugs. Even if you think their moment will soon pass, really, it won't. Why? Few people really have them. It's just a design-y little fetish that Decorno types have right now. But a zebra rug is always funky and cool and will always help you say, "Yes, this is a fussy old dresser, but made less uptight because I have this crazy shit on the floor." Zebra rugs 4-ever.

Forgiving a debt. Especially as you get older, and you still remember that $300 you gave your friend to cover rent... if he's living in a shack and you've had a good year, forget it. When it comes up say, "I swear you already wrote me that check." If you're running around being Gordon Gekko minding the new rule of working your ass off, you have the pay the karmic piper somehow.



Looking like yourself. Your totally freaking glamourous, fabulous self. Anh Duong is like that kind of weird striking beauty. Somehow the American ideal has become stripper-i-fied. I mean, take yesterday's NY Times article about "mommy makeovers" - - apparently the new trend to get post-baby plastic surgery. I totally understand if you want a tummy tuck and a breast lift to feel good about yourself, but when you look HERE at these women getting the procedure, there is nothing elegant about them. They look like they are desperately clinging to their high school cheerleader days. Let's say fuck you to the stripper aesthetic and fully embrace a better version of you, the Anh Duong policy of being the prettiest odd face you've ever seen.

32 comments:

design for mankind. said...

Love this post, and I LOOOOOOOVE your blog! Mind if I add you to my blogroll???

decorno.blogspot.com said...

I would superfreakinglove it if you would add me to your blog roll. I plan to do the same. Thanks!

decorno.blogspot.com said...

I notice you don't have beachbungalow8.blogspot.com on your blogroll... you should check her out. If you like Decorno, you will like BB8.

Leah said...

Nothing to do with this (great, as always) post, but can you please, please, pretty please just rip perfect little Gwynnie a new one, as only you can?

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2007/10/at-home-with-gwyneth-paltrow.html

Thanks.

Leah

franki durbin said...

best post you've ever written. and I 9for one) love the gordon gekko references. I am all for working my a$$ off (and I do) and I am a better person for it. everyone I know benefits from hard work.

ditto to the outdated ring. jewelry (like husbands) should not be interchangeable.

amen to the crisp white shirt/gold rolex (or in my case oversize Gucci) watch. a deadly combo I adore.

seriously: best post you've written. carry on!

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Ah, Leah... youi read my mind. Miss Paltrow is next on my list. I have mixed feelings about her, so I may surprise you.

franki durbin said...

I liked this so much I wrote a post linking to you. terrific message for my busy Friday.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Ah shucks, Franki! Thanks for mentioning me on your blog.

Richie Designs said...

F*ing brilliant post. Thanks Franki for sending me over. Love your blog

becoming-home said...

Great post! And I'm totally relieved about the zebra rugs b/c I have been lusting after one in secret for my guest room..

decorno.blogspot.com said...

BH - go for it. the best deals are on ebay. I got one for about $220...no need to pay $600+ for a zebra (cowhide) rug. :)

katiedid said...

Same husband, same ring, check;White dishes, check;Pencil skirt, check;I'm gonna have to work on that Rolex thing. And I'm all about forgiving a debt, but only if the person is deserving.
Great post as usual! Always makes my day.:)

shelley said...

A perfect list Decorno, PERFECT. Just when I think you are a bit cynical you go and do that. You just gained a faithful reader 4 evah!!

Mr. Useless said...

Eh... I'm over the Rolex. I was going to drop 4k on one, then i thought, Tiffany And Co. has nice watches.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Mr Useless, you crack me up. You can't sell me on Tiffany over Rolex... you know I voted against it in this post: http://decorno.blogspot.com/2007/09/things-that-are-wrong-now-always-and.html

Mrs. Blandings said...

amen.

perfect bound said...

LOVE this post. When you replace Tim Gunn on TG's Guide to Style can I be your Veronica Webb?

Paloma said...

I couldn't agree more with your list!

beachbungalow8 said...

aahn doung freaks me out. she's stunning and so styling. but she's scary did you see her in 'high art' brrr.

i'mso happy i never got stuck with a gold band marquis. phew.

and the giant mens rolex? the best one has the pink face. i absolutely love this look

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Yeah, Megan, I agree with you. I might have had a different opinion if my better half had given me a gold marquis ring, too. Lucky for me, it's a big shiny solitaire in a simple platinum setting. No side stone blingy craziness. He's a good man.

Alex said...

I've just discovered 2 great blogs in one day! I got here from Life i a Venti -and I must say that your post is spot on. The only thing I would add is that being gracious never goes out of style. Whether you get a bad gift or someone is being nasty the ability to smile and respond graciously is always right.
JetSetBaby
2ciaos

Cote de Texas said...

No pencil skirt, hips/ass to fucking big (like the fucking part?). No ring!!! we couldn't afford a stone and now I just don't want to waste the money on it. Love white shirts, every day, all summer long, maybe winter too - we'll see. I'm a Cartier Roadster girl (in my fucking dreams - notice the fucking again). white plates, si. zebra rug, si - $200? sure!!! in your fucking dreams!!!!!! hahah I love you.
Joni

Suzy said...

I'm with Franki, fantastic post. Amen indeed.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Joni - zebra print *cowhide,* (not real zebra) for about $200... I swear! Ebay girl, go see ofr yourself! I wouldn't lie about something as important as decor. :)

Mr. Useless said...

Yeah, I know. Those tiffany bracelets with the hearts, sure. They suck. For women, it's over.

Tiffany for Men, tho. just give it a chance.

Fairfax said...

I agree with everything. Changing up engagement rings is so tacky. Also, whinging about not getting a ring that's big enough. Bad form.

Things That Inspire said...

Great post. I love your authentic style!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, only a woman would say Anh Duong had "beauty."

Maybe we could rob ugliness of some of its power if we were more matter-of-fact about it. "Yes, she's ugly, now let's move on and skip the Oprahesque "Even ugly people are beautiful (in a reverse way)" talk.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Well, your logic is a bit off... My assertion is that she is beautiful, and since this is my stated opinion, I cannot be offering an "Oprahesque 'Even ugly people are beautiful (in a reverse way).'" Doesn't tie out to my assertion.

Now, setting that aside, it's totally fair for you to think she's ugly. That's your opinion... you should tell us who is your ideal beauty. I am curious.

Thanks for reading and posting. I figure if I am so bullheaded about my own opinions, I should expect people to disagree entirely. :)

kim said...

Oh, man....That's my ring that I've been dying to re-set after 12 years of bliss....just found your blog. Enjoyable!

djellabah said...

Just spotted your blog ... Anh Duong is freaking beautiful (guy here, fyi) ... to each his own ... I'd rather look at a woman you can't forget than a woman who disappears into a crowd of Botoxed, bleached-blonde, rhinoplastied clones ...

heather said...

HooEEE. Just found your blog today and it is an instafavorite. LOVE it, go you for telling it like you see it.