Sunday, November 4, 2007

Like wearing a blanket.




Hello new dress. You're going to look great with those tall boots of mine. I love you for your style and the way you are going to make me feel like my mom when she was that late-70s single-mom career-woman, rocking the kickass dress, carrying around a kid on her hip and just generally being one of those sisters doing it for themselves (cue the music). Mostly, I will love that you will feel like a blanket since the office vent blows right on me and freezing my ass off all day long.

Dress - what's it like to be at Banana Republic? I know your place is like the Geranimals for adults, but, well, you know I came to get you there because sometimes you just want some basics that don't look like Shopbop vomited its hipness all over your awkward self. Sometimes you want to look a little more Audrey Hepburn than Kate Moss. But your home, little dress, your home called Banana Republic had racks and racks of brand new clothes and BR was *already* out of sizes. When Gap Inc wonders why it serves up negative year over year comps on every quarterly earnings call, it's not because there aren't sassy khaki ads on TV anymore... it's because Gap has totally lost its way. It can't even get DENIM right. Of all the things, and with all that floor space Gap could never figure out how to turn out the $70 answer to $170 jeans. How can this fucking happen?

And dress, the other reason is that BR is the one part of your godforsaken company I can or still want to shop at and even then, when I showed up yesterday (for the second time) to (finally) stock up on cashmere t-shirts, you had none. It's November. You should have all your cashmere in the stores now. But no. I was ready to buy 4 or 5, because they are thin enough to wear the whole year and they are a great basic. But no.

No sizes in 2 dresses I wanted, and no cashmere.

Dress, I am glad I brought you home. Banana Republic is no place for a sassy thing like you.

11 comments:

SGM said...

Thank you for speaking the truth about BR. With the no cashmere and no sizes--are they TRYING to lose business? I was a bit embarrassed to be coveting BR trouser jeans, but they were perfection, just like your dress. This is my message to BR: You're on the right track, BR but cotton, wool, cashmere, denim and maybe something for a little stretch if you're in a pinch. This is all anyone wants. No lyocell, nylon or other fake shit. And keep it in stock for God's sake.
We should run this company. Piece of cake.

perfect bound said...

It is painfully easy for me to get carried away in a good BR ad campaign or sale racks. I used to work across the street from a flagship store-the perfect excuse for a coffee break. I've also found that thier pants fit like nobody's business but yes, only if they're in stock.

Anonymous said...

Every once in awhile BR gets it right on but just like any store you have to carefully edit your choices. The one I work at is directly across from a Ralph Lauren soooo yeah it really kind of casts a shadow on anything we have in my opinion. That being said it is still a great place for basics.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful dress, but on that model, anyway, the sleeves are too long. It's...not infantilizing, exactly, but it's the kind of detail that makes a woman look a little child-like. A little Calista Flockhart-y.

Richie Designs said...

their clothing seems to be going down in quality...jcrew has been doing a much better job but with of course a little more $ to compensate.

still if I'm going to buy a coat I'd spend 75-100$ more for it too look good lining and all.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

If only I was a little more Calista Flockhart-y... alas my ass is the size of Montana. :)

Anonymous said...

Calista looks like a badly aging 11-year-old boy. You have nothing to envy.

xo

Mr. Useless said...

Now, that is a skinny model....

J's Crew said...

This is truly entertaining writting! Thank you!

franki durbin said...

okay, I'm so embarrassed to admit BR is one of my secret fab shopping spaces! I am always surprised by the way they slip in a little glamor with a lot of casual. Like lasers, my eyes somehow always find just the right item and I'm not in there for hours (as I would be at a hipper shop). So glad you brought the dress home. It needed a home among the cashmere and brand name labels. ;)

alyson. said...

mm, that dress is fabulous. I worked for BR when I was in college. it's nice when you work there and get the stuff, not only at a fabulous discount, but just as the stuff rolls out of the boxes and on to the floor.