Sunday, November 25, 2007

My EBAY obsession knows no bounds...


I used to think it a bit poseur-y to wear Hermes unless you were a horsy-loving French woman or Connecticut heiress... until I saw this killer cuff.

Oh Ebay... you used to be just for vintage ribbon or French bottle drying racks... until I discovered I could find ANYTHING on your site. Sigh.

Here are some of my latest obsessions:

I kind of want a Louis Vuitton Keepall 55 (I hear it's the largest size that will fit in the overhead bin on a plane), so I lurk around ebay looking for a nicely-aged version... you know, the light-honey leather straps have turned tan because some Gordon Gekko used it 11 times and is now selling it off. But THEN, while lounging in bed all day on Saturday (something I never do and discovered I REALLY LIKE, especially since I realized I could pick up the phone on the nightstand and call my man's cell phone downstairs and giggle dumb requests like, '"Um, can you bring me a Fresca? And my laptop," which was seriously the most fun ever. It's like having a hot concierege for the day. Fabulous...) ...anyway, I want that LV duffel, but I was watching for the first time a marathon of The Real Housewives of Orange County and two of those plastic women had them. So, I am holding off for now. That's a bad omen.


Nevertheless, my latest Ebay crazy is vintage Trifari costume jewelry. My mother had some bitchin' chunky gold pendant necklaces when she was early 30s and now I have a craving for some crazy necklaces that have (shamed to say) that retro Tory Burch-y vibe, except that I think you need to wear them with confident modern clothes, not puky-brown Mrs. Brady styles that Ms. Burch has been fond of the last few seasons. Trifari seems to be where it's at, although Monet is worth an Ebay search, too. I also spied a gold-toned bamboo bracelet that seemed pretty fucking fetching.


I search for Ted Muehling jewelry occasionally, too. These earrings are pretty fab, but I am not sure I am ready to spring for these, although at $110, it's a bargain way to bring a little Muehling into your life (if you have the New York Interiors book from Taschen, you have in your home a beautiful few pages showcasing his lovely home and studio, BTW).


Of course, I often search for "Louboutin 37" and recently found the perfect pair of low-heeled, steel-y-platinum pumps and they have forever solved my "weekend shoe" problem - - a heel, but not so high that I can't wear them all day long running around and shopping. They were in perfect condition and practically amounted to theft at $125. You can't beat that.


I am also often searching for a YSL Mombasa bag, the one with the horn handle. It's a classic. And I don't usually like small bags, and it's a great version of a small bag. Kind of ostentatious enough for me (I mean, I have a handbag reputation to keep up here...) but practical enough for soccer games (I got a few weird stares carrying my shaggy Serpui Marie "Tina Turner" at the last game... I may need to tone it down. Just not TOO much.)

All of this sort of classic-accessory obsession must come from the fact that at 31, I am finally getting excited about aging. I never had the body for the Shopbop-y t-shirt dressing phenomenon and I never liked the flimsiness of the look, anyway. I am really looking forward to having closets of bitchy shoes and kooky handbags and fur stoles (vintage only!) and loud gold cuffs and big statement-y earrings paired with simple clothes. You know this look, this sort of "I am holding on to my youth" hair and tan and un-tended skin? To hell with it.


I am going to shoot for a Rose-Lee-Goldberg kind of vibe instead:

And my friend Ebay, with its thrill-is-in-the-hunt playfulness will lead me to all the things that will keep me looking fetching in my 30s and 40s and beyond... all the Trifari and Hermes and Ted Muehling and YSL Mombasas a girl could want.

Viva vintage!

15 comments:

mamacita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You drink Fresca?! That is awesome!!!

becoming-home said...

I love all of your picks! Will you be my ebay personal shopper? ;)

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Anon - yes. Fresca is very popular in our house. My fiance says, "There are two kinds of people... those who love Fresca, and those who just haven't had it in a long time."

Fairfax said...

love fresca! we used to drink it when we were very little on picnics in vermont... the only time we were allowed soda. didn't see it for decades, and all of a sudden, it's baaaack!

Richie Designs said...

fresca and diet squirt...totally rule especially with vodka :)

Anonymous said...

I bet Angie Dickinson drinks Fresca.

Anonymous said...

Is it questionable to wear used pierced earrings? I know you can soak 'em in alcohol, etc., but still...

Not judgin', just sayin'...

Habitually Chic said...

Oh no! Another person who's going to be bidding against me for the size 37 Christian Louboutins!

SGM said...

Poor Lauri and Dina.
Where is Fresca even sold?!

franki durbin said...

Goodness, don't get me started on my personal ebay obsessions. I am addicted. I recently sold two vintage Gucci items, and how quickly we long to buy them back! For me, ebay is like a candy store. From handbags to designer dresses, I have to admit I have a true addiction to it.

I will add this, however, I have now been burned twice by sellers who seemed completely legit - only to receive a faux LV followed by a faux Choo handbag. So I'm sworn off handbags for good. Tread with care, darling!

Julie at BV said...

wow, great finds. I like all of them.

Alkemie said...

*sigh* - this is where much of my damage is done. Love the gold bamboo bracelet. I agree with Franki Durban - been burned a couple of times with fake items. I have experience in the manufacturing world and can spot fakes pretty well. Still, it doesn't keep me away from being obsessed with Ebay - just gotta tread carefully.

Iheartfashion said...

The jewelry looks great, but never, I repeat NEVER buy anything Louis Vuitton on eBay. There may be that 1 in a million bag that some rich lady really did get sick of and decide to sell, but 99.9% of them are fakes. Trust me...I speak from experience.

alis said...

gosh... someone should tell those women hair is supposed to be darker than skin.. I'm only 22, but my aging icon is Susan Sarandon.. she's damnnnn hot. When we are shopping with mom, we ask ourselves "Is this Susie enough?", if the answer is yes, we go for it.