Monday, December 24, 2007

Retail love (specifically, Anthro love).


I hate to admit it, but I do get a little warm and fuzzy feeling when an Anthro catalog shows up, or when I walk into the store. I think I actually sighed and uttered "Oh, the promised land..." when I walked in there the other day with my better half. He just laughed.

"'One of our core philosophies,' explains Anthropologie president Glen Senk, 'is that we spend the money that other companies spend on marketing to create a store experience that exceeds people's expectations. We don't spend money on messages--we invest in execution".

Glen Senk is a genius.

There are very few stores that so completely nail the execution of a very well-defined sensibility. Even if you think they have a pretty cloying, romantic, fussy aesthetic, they are really good at what they do.












Every photo swiped from the super-charming blog Craving Anthropologie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They may not spend money on messages, but they sure as hell aren't passing on those savings to the customers. Their prices can be seriously unreasonable.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Oh, I agree. I *love* their sofas, but there is no way I am spending $2,800 there. I could recover a Craigslist castoff for much less and get the same look. Nevertheless, passing on savings isn't their business model. They sell cheap t-shirts for $98. A big waste of cash. But for inspiration and great gifts and adorable (and affordable) jewelry, it's a great place.

In(side) the Loop said...

I disagree with Anon. Their prices aren't any higher than most boutiques carrying the same lines (Paper, Denim, Cloth; Lulu Guinness; Anna Sui; Dolan; Corey Lynn Calter...etc.) They also have killer sales! I constantly find $300 pieces on sale for $100 or less. And if they don't have your size in the store, they find it elsewhere and ship it to you for free. They are pricier than most chain stores, but I don't think they're unreasonable. Just my 2 cents...

In(side) the Loop said...

now...the furniture...that's another story!

Anonymous said...

I have a love-hate relationship with antrho. I love the store experience. I'm lucky to live near one of these and I go in about every 2 weeks or so and just get inspiration.

The prices drive me nuts, though. Rarely buy anything. Their clothes never go what I call "on sale-on sale." For example, last year at BR I ended up with a $6.99 sweater that had originally been $80. Now that's a sale. Anthro stuff is way over priced for what it is and even on sale it's over priced. I sometimes buy skirts on sale, but rarely any other clothes. Their sales are better in the housewares dept. For example, I recently snapped up the white "coral" lamp base for $50. (I think the original price was around $200.)

The upholstery fabric, while it looks really good online and in the catalogue, is actually a piece of crap in real life. Really cheap looking.

The prices on their other furniture is truly outrageous. Who buys this stuff? I mean if you're willing to pay that much for an armoire or mirror, then you'd get it at an antique store or have it custom made.

alis said...

talk about store experience.. when I used to live at the US, there was this store in King of Prussia, PA, called "the rediscovery shop", actually it was a fully furnished little house with unimaginably amazing stuff in it with unbelievably cheap prices. I just wanted to live there.. *sigh*
Never been to an anthropologie store(we dont have any here) but I have been drooling over their stuff from the internet for a while now..