Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I might like wrapping gifts more than getting them.




It's only the 11th and I have begun wrapping. I am so freaking excited to (finally) get ahead of the game. Real ribbon, vintage travel photos from Italy and France as gift tags, and those pre-printed cursive-y tags from Watson Kennedy definitely go a long way in dressing up $20 gifts from Takashimaya, Veritables, and other favorite shops. Vosges chocolates, Rigaud candles, these weird little Japanese seedlings that sprout from a ceramic egg with a "cracked" top, Provence Sante verbena soaps, and truffle oil have all made the list. Maybe what people really want are Starbucks gift cards, but too bad. I am the worst kind of Christmas gift giver. I give the kinds of things I would want to get... my taste reigns supreme and hopefully, there are some truffle oil/hemp-seed chocolate/soap-loving friends out there who will put up with my oddball gifts.

11 comments:

mamacita said...

I always have to buy gifts that I approve of, aesthetically speaking. Usually this isn't too hard, but I drew my weird aunt's name this year, and she has asked for 1) red pants (as in, poly blend, which she will wear pulled up to her armpits); and 2) a subscription to Angels on Earth. I will spare you having to look that up -- "Each bimonthly issue is filled with the amazing stories of angels appearing to people and acting in their lives." Can.not.buy.

I pride myself on being supremely intuitive about buying people presents -- I am seriously the Christmas Ninja like that -- but this woman is hard.

I wish I could trade with you. I would love to be able to buy something at Takashimaya. That's so much more fun.

mamacita said...

As long as I'm here -- those vintage French tarot cards at Watson Kennedy would make the most fabulous gift tags. You wouldn't even have to write on them -- just get the perfect one for the person and you'd know immediately whose gift it was.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that your aunt requested red pants! You must treasure this.

JJ said...

I hear you, Mamacita. I *had* to buy my granny the journal that accompanies The Purpose Driven Life. I threw up a little in my mouth at the cash register. And forked over my debit card. 'Cause I love my gran.

mamacita said...

@Anonymous

Unfortunately, it's not cute-eccentric-old-lady red pants. The woman is 45 (she's an aunt by marriage). But I am starting to see the humor in it. When else will I have a chance to to buy red pants for somebody?

*I can't post this to my blog -- my uncle reads it!*

mamacita said...

I've totally hijacked this post.

Here are the lovely pants. It took about 5 clicks and I was done. They will be delivered to my door. And I will get to snicker every time I see her wear them. Truly, I don't know what more I could have asked for.

/Back to your regularly scheduled Decorno.

Anonymous said...

Those are some *fierce* red pants, girl.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

"I threw up a little in my mouth" just made me spit up my coffee laughing.

Anonymous said...

Decorno:
Don't you think it would be a hoot to be staff writers for "Angels on Earth"? Your angels could do their good deeds while wearing Louboutins!

Brilliant Asylum said...

My grandmother gives me a yearly subscription to some sort of Angels maglet along with Guideposts. I just don't have the heart to tell her.

However, to balance out all of that mediocrity, I did order the truffle salt as a stocking stuffer for the husband. I am making him open it BEFORE our Christmas scrambled eggs. Mmmm.

mamacita said...

It's me again, Margaret --

Check it out: you can see which tarot card you are.