Monday, December 24, 2007

Inspiration



You're going to see a ton of scanned decorno photos on this blog over the next few weeks. I have become more maniacal than ever about home stuff, mostly because I am finally ready to start writing some big checks to get this shit done around this joint. So bear with me.

I am also going to try to catalog some landscaping ideas because I am having a hard time finding blogs about landscaping. Where is the Courtney/StyleCourt of backyard bliss? There's a blog idea for someone out there...

These two photos are from House Beautiful March 2007. I like HB for certain elements, but not for whole design. It's a little ruffle-y for my taste. This writing desk - though too fussy for me - is still a great reminder of all the homeless old consoles you can find on your neighborhood Craigslist. Why not laquer one up and give yourself a more modern version of this look?

I also like the stacked books. Stacked books are a plague in my house. I have no more room for books. Stacked books say to me, "I've given up trying to find a proper home for you little lovelies... just sit here on the floor while momma has another gin & tonic and flips through the latest Elle Decor..." Or something.

As for this backyard, at this point I will take ANY kind of landscaping as long as it looks intentional. And by intentional, I don't mean intentionally neglected for 30 years. Because I already have that backyard. I like clean landscaping, and this one might be a little busy for me, but more than anything, it's a reminder of why suburban backyards mostly suck - - people just cut out border beds and plant low stuff and call it good (fuck you marigolds. Yes, you. You're gross and no one should plant you, but you are like 18 for $1 and that's why people promote you and your kind). THIS backyard, however, is a reminder to keep things dimensional and to have height in your plan. Tall trees medium shrubs, low-rider little badass boxwoods. Success is in the mix.

The interior design is by Myra Hoefer and the landscaping is by Elizabeth Everdell (San Francisco).

3 comments:

s. said...

There is no bearing with you to be done! I can`t wait to see your heaps of scanned photos. Bring em on...

s. said...

and, by the by, I'm currently perusing a tome called " decorating with books." It's not brilliant, but there are a few lovely photos showing interesting ways to store books...

mamacita said...

You could try Gardenrooms.

I haven't read through the whole thing, but she is a friend of BB8.