Since I am not feeling so hot and don't have the creative energy for my own post, I thought I would point you to At Home At Home, where Laure has a great post about her dinner party guest list growing from 3 to 7 and tips for making it work.
When I had a smaller apartment, I always wished I had thrown parties, but I always thought my space was too cramped. But lately, I keep reading about New Yorkers who seem to make those ridiculously small apartments work.
Remember this Domino? Cover girl Lauren Yaggy talked about throwing small drinks parties with just cocktails and nuts and then heading out for dinner with friends, which seems like a good strategy.
A lot of designers rave about round tables because even if small, you can always seems to squeeze more people in.
Laure has great emergency party tips:
• Do not freak out, it just wastes energy
• Just double the recipe and it should all turn out fine
• In a small space like mine where we eat around the giant coffee table, I just pulled all of my furniture apart by an extra foot to create more space for people, that seemed to help.
• Serve Ice Cream for Dessert (no prep time!) and ask your aunt to bring home made cookies!
• Don't worry about the house being clean, just shove the litter box into the shower and clean the faucet on the sink so that the chrome is shiny, then light the bathroom by candlelight.
• This one is important: Set the table ahead of time. Do not leave this until the last minute.
• Put the wine out so that people aren't all up in your kitchen looking for glasses, the wine and the bottle opener. Have it in the other room and ask someone else to open and pour it for your guests!
• Relax because, as my bf's mom says, anything tastes good if you didn't have to cook it yourself.
Anyone else have tips & tricks to add? Is anyone else really guest and party ready? I tend to think if I had to have people over in the next hour I would have a heart attack....