Saturday, February 16, 2008

I must need a vacation.



The view from my hotel, as I write this, is the Newark, NJ airport control tower. The only pretty thing in sight is my latest copy of Domino (which I happen to subscribe to, but in an effort to totally piss off their most loyal readers, I saw it at the airport before the publisher managed to deliver it to my home. Go figure.). If you read this blog regularly, you know that I travel frequently for work. I am really tired of it.



So, I am trying to keep my eyes on the prize; trying not to think of weekends I am giving up for work right now. One thing that is helping is my new Sohum Coconut & White Peach lotion which smells like a only slightly more grown-up version of that coconut oil smell of those tanning oils our mothers used in the 80s to help them really burn their skin into a leathery tan. (God I love the smell!)


Mmm... can't you smell that hot-sun-and-sweaty-coconutty-goodness! Proud sponsor of decades of skin cancer and premature aging.

It makes me think of beachy scenes and riviera-esque umbrellas. I am counting the months (only four!) before I can spend my weekends at Denny Blaine beach, a tiny strip of sand and shore here in Seattle that seems to be known only to hipsters who have decided it's ok to sunbathe topless as long as you have interesting tattoos and smoke cloves. It's a great beach mostly because there are no screaming children present.

Spring & summer just can't come soon enough for me - especially as I sit here in lovely Elizabeth, NJ.

8 comments:

mamacita said...

Don't you hate it when you're bored on the weekend and nobody is posting?

Here's some funny stuff that might cheer you up:
Chuck Norris Facts, Stuff White People Like

Decorno said...

Oh man, Stuff White People Like is brilliant. I am enjoying the notes on bags in the "recycling" post. :)

So glad you sent this... a great way to kill time in this roach motel tonight...

Decorno said...

Ha! Ok, Mamacita, now I am really dying because I just read this post:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/37-renovations/


"All white people are born with a singular mission in life in order to pass from regular whitehood into ultra-whitehood. Much like how Muslims have to visit Mecca, all white people must eventually renovate a house before they can be complete.

Of course, most white people do not reach this goal until they are 35 or older. But the need to do it is as instinctual as walking..."

Oh my god, I am afraid to read on... how many other ways will my total whiteness (lameness??) be exposed?

Abbey Goes Design Scouting said...

it infuriates me when magazines I subscribe to end up on the newsstand first. I can't tell you how many times i've bought a magazine in an airport I know is waiting at home... have safe travels home and I hope work slows down a bit soon.

paola said...

@mamacita. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for Stuff White People Like. It has made my day.

Thanks also Decorno for the Denny Blaine beach tip - I will be there with my screaming kid as soon as the weather improves.

And yes, it sounds like you need a holiday.

Anonymous said...

I know we're all supposed to prefer ultra-subtle cologne scents, but for me, nothing beats the sexiness of the Hawaiian Tropic smell (except classic Coppertone).

Anonymous said...

omg, come home already! Let's play!

TravelMuse said...

You're totally giving me flashbacks with the Hawaiian Tropic smell. I recently found a body lotion at Sephora that smells just like it. It reminds me of those ridiculous 80's commercials where the ultra chic woman dives in the pool and swims toward the camera. Love it!