Saturday, February 9, 2008

Soon you will be mine, little chairs:



Just as soon as she deals with her cat's bladder infection and goes to the caucus today (not much of a Saturday, if you ask me), a nice older woman is going to sell these chairs to me and it will be my first adventure in the magic of getting things reupholstered in a fabric of my choosing. Also, we have kind of a big extended family that lives nearby (I love it!) and when we have everyone over for a birthday or a movie night, we hardly have enough seating. PLUS, we have this long wall in the dining room with a long-ish console table, but it's still not enough to kind of fill the space properly, so I think one of these chairs can kick it against the wall and be called up for extra-seating-duty on short notice next time we have all of our people over.

If you click here and here you can see a related post with some inspiration for this project, along with estimates for the job from Queen Anne Upholstery plus excellent advice from readers (I like how I call you people "readers" like this is some kind of major publication...). The second link are chairs I love done up in unusual ways.

I also found this link which talks about reupholstering chairs -- although, I should tell you, I don't plan to do this myself. I can't be trusted with nail guns and hot glue. My ass would be stapled to the chair and my hands would be stuck to the tools in no time. I just don't have mad crafting skills.

Here are some links to blogs that have posted a few DIY reupholstering projects: Enjoy:


Danish chair in graphic b & w print.


Modern green chair.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am lovin' the idea of replacing played-out Hollywood Regency with classic wealthy-old-lady chic.

Anonymous said...

PS: Fabric ideas? I'd go for something with white and/or red, maybe. Something to vibrate against that beautifully sober wood frame.

Decorno said...

YES! Old Dowager Chic is the best. I am so with you.
Except I don't think I can live with these fabrics. But there is still a way to spruce this up with a fabric that's cool, contemporary, and still something Upper East Side old grannies would appreciate.

Decorno said...

Oh good, anon... I was just going to ask for some fabric ideas. If anyone has any, please post here...

thanks!

Anonymous said...

How 'bout just plain muslin, on which you write, with a Sharpie, "Fuck Imperial Trellis." (sorry)

I'd look for either a solid or a print with a chunky, "primitive" design, maybe.

Decorno said...

Ha! "Fuck Imperial Trellis" is still maybe the funniest thing anyone has ever posted on my blog.

I think plain muslin would be cool, but I do need some color in my house. It's very black & white and need a little something to punch it up.

Anonymous said...

Do muslins come in colors? I nice warm one with some gold tendencies would be sweet.

S. said...

oooooooooooooh. i'm jealous. Cannot wait to see how they look once finished! How about some plain mohair velvet on the seat and back with a fun pattern on the other side of the back?

iloveupstate.com said...

I just reupholstered 2 chairs that I bought on ebay. I am sooooo happy with them now. They make me squeal.

I especially love that first chair you posted.

pve design said...

you give good chair...these would be great posted in your magazine.
play-girls decor - no? I think yes.

Alkemie said...

I have a whole batch more chairs I am also having reupholstered. Not all at once mind you since it is not cheap. I SO love re-doing chairs. I bought some used books on reupholstering and have since deifnitely decided that I do not have the space (no garage) nor the talent for it. It takes a lot of work. Le Petit Cabinet de Curiosites has a wonderful blog and does many posts about upholstery because her father has done a lifetime of upholstery and continues to work to this day. Check out her blog and you'll have a better of idea of what re-upholstery is like. http://www.enseignedegersaint.typepad.fr/