Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sonoma & Napa


Man, I need a little getaway.

Lucky for me, at the end of this month, I head to San Francisco, Sonoma, and Napa for a little 4-day mini excursion with the lovely and talented JJ. There we will meet up with my fiance's brother's girlfriend (did you get that?) and her friend. My fiance's dad just renovated an old house in Sonoma and has turned it into a B&B and we have the run of the house for a long weekend. Very, very excited to see his big project now completed. (Now maybe he can come to Seattle and renovate our home?)

Other than, um, drinking wine, does anyone have any specific recommendations for us? I imagine we will largely just loaf around and talk about botox, our fat thighs, and why Katie Holmes is a robot (we are girls, so this is how conversations go), but if you know if any must-see or must-do things in this part of California, please let me know.


Photo above is LA last weekend... not exactly where we are headed, but enough to make me cross my finders for good weather and some sunshine, sans palm trees.

11 comments:

Nikki said...

If you can get up to Healdsburg for a day it is worth the trip. One of my favorite shops in wine country is Artists and Farmers, which is (artistsandfarmers.com) a very cool design and antique shop. I also love Arboretum (arboretumapparel.com), an amazing clothing store that is all about sustainability.

Decorno said...

Nikki - you are the best. Artists and Farmers looks fabulous.

Joanna Goddard said...

wow, how amazing! what is the name of his B&B?

drwende said...

Tourist trap Ghirardeli Square (nice view of ocean, etc.) has (or had, when I left the city in 2006) a thrift store that gets new-with-tags stock from Wilkes Bashford (the store that makes Saks look like J.C. Penney) at 90% off.

I don't remember the store's name and they weren't ever on the site's online directory, so I may be sending you on a wild goose chase, but if you have a yen for designer clothes and want to be budget-conscious, it's worth taking a look.

Leah said...

Martin in St. Helena (Napa) is kind of to-die-for:

http://www.martinshowroom.com/

And you should stop in at the Heath Ceramics Factory Store in Sausalito on your way up to wine country:

http://www.heathceramics.com/go/heath/our-factory-store/

If you have any time in SF, there's a whole list of great shops under the "San Francisco Shopping" header in the right-hand column on my blog:

http://morewaystowastetime.blogspot.com

And if you're flying into the Oakland airport, there's an even more extensive list of East Bay shopping there as well.

Have fun!

Leah

Leah said...

Oh, and I love the little town of Sebastopol in Sonoma County (http://www.sebastopol.org/Default.asp?page=37).

No specific recs there, because we usually just wander up and down main street and get an ice cream cone, but I just love the vibe. (It's a "nuclear-free zone," of course! And Tom Waits, Les Claypool, and Peter Krause from "Six Feet Under" live there.)

Leah

decorno said...

If Peter Krause is there, then I am definitely going. To stalk him. :)

Marissa said...

thanks for lighting the fire under my...

i just published a new post!

katiedid said...

I left a little mini tour for you on my blog of a couple of "must see" places between Napa and Sonoma. Hope you have a fun trip!

mominaledo said...

My husband and I are going to San Fran and Sonoma for our 10 yr anniversary in May! I'm so excited. You'll have to give us an update after your trip! Carrie

Anonymous said...

Forget French Laundry go to Bouchon right down the street still owned by Keller but sooooo good and less snotty.