Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What are you doing?


I am not an early adopter when it comes to technology. A very sad fact. I am more middle-of-the-pack. (Part of it, too, is that things like My Space had no value for me. What was I going to DO with it? No utility. Plus, it's ugly.)

So I am finally catching up on social networking / bloggy things like Twitter, good reader and such (readers blow... someone needs to do a better job here), Facebook (I just joined and my friend Hannah sarcastically wrote me, "Welcome to Facebook...it's the future.").

I thing I have liked for a while is 43 Things. Maybe because I am a nut for lists. Love, love, love lists. And checking things off. 43 Things is the best because you can make your life's to-do list and when you enter things like "Change my name for one year" ior "Go to Rome" or "Open a store" it connects you with people who want to do the same thing.

The BEST LIST is that of Erik Benson, aka Buster McLeod. You should read what he's working on and also click on the tab that reads "I've done 184 things." Very amusing. And inspiring, actually.

So... how is everyone connected?
What social networking stuff do you even bother with?
What's proven useful (or at least amusing)?



Photo up top is The McLeod Residence... a member's-only drinking club plus art gallery for hipsters here in Seattle. Opening it was on Erik Benson's $3 Things list... until he checked that off.

13 comments:

Jessie said...

OOoohhh, can't wait to check out 43 Things... I am a serious list maker, too.

Anonymous said...

I 'network' with my friends, colleges and family. I use the internet every day but I don't want a bunch of strangers having access to my personal life. What for?? If I meet someone new I can tell them my favorite film or book when and if it comes up in conversation. Honestly I find it scary and naive how especially young people (or children) put their personal life on the internet where you have no control what so ever about who is reading it and with what intention.
Blogs are somehow something different because the are usually about a certain topic I'm interested in like interior design and hopefully entertaining (like your blog), or else I'll stop reading them.

Anonymous said...

And by networking with friends or family I mean email, phone calls or preferably face to face.

Richie Designs said...

I'm so slow to technology. My phone is about 6 years old it looks like a cousin of the "car phone"

I can't do facebook but I do use Linked In which is essentially an online resume and networking link. It seems more professional to me.

the fact that I can do small amounts of code to blog is a miracle.

franki durbin said...

I'm a bit biased, because I've been a graphic designer for so long. Yes, I designed some of those very ugly sites we built back in the 90's. :)

But I only use what I think meets a few criteria: a) it has to look good (obviously) b) it has to be used by interesting, smart people c) it has to be intuitive if I have to learn how to use you, I'm simply moving too fast in life to do that) d) it has to bring some kind of value to my life

Which means, I love blogging There are lots of smart, funny, interesting people blogging. Love that.

Twitter is unique. It really is just a weird form of group stream of consciousness. You just have to find good people to follow.

LinkedIn is boring, but useful. It's helped me connect with people professionally, but I invest almost no time in it. And I'm a passive user. I don't go out seeking people. It bores me to use the application.

But really? I like occasionally picking up the phone and 'meeting' other bloggers. There are some really great people online, and it's fun to take that 'pixel-based' relationship to the next level.

And by summer I'll have my iPhone, so I'll be able to blend my on and off line worlds. How fabulous is that??? :)

So.. there you have it. That's what I do :)

franki durbin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
franki durbin said...

sorry... didn't finish my thought. I LOVE 43 things. I haven't visited in a while (I'm a paper list girl) - but I look forward to reading that list you mentioned, It's amazing to connect with people that way.
ciao! ;)

An Aesthete's Lament said...

Mon amour is obsessed with Facebook ... I honestly can't be bothered ... email is quite enough for me ...

Julia said...

I love 43 things too. Love the lists and checking out other peoples. Another hot thing is gmail chat, but I don't want another email address, so I've been waiting on jumping on that bandwagon...

LinkedIn is gaining in popularity and I've found it good for business networking solely (meet someone at an event, link 'em in." OH! And GoodReads. If you like to read, GoodReads is awesome.

Anonymous said...

aesthete: Your amour might be using Facebook to find another amour.

my little apartment said...

i havent even clicked on the link, but i know I'm going to love 43 Things...

okay, here's the weird thing: my exbf was just telling me about his friend, Buster McLeod. small world.

i'm "goodnightdean" on twitter.

Anonymous said...

decorno, i totally want to "friend" you on facebook now.

Anonymous said...

The McLeod Residence - what a strange hallway. It looks like a waiting room at a bordello ...