Sunday, September 14, 2008

My inner hippie went to Oregon yesterday.


I took the 50 minute flight to visit my mom in Portland yesterday.

The weather was perfect. We started at Mother's Bistro and had brunch, then we wandered through the Pearl District, then spent a few hours at Powell's, the world's largest new and used bookstore. It's one city block and three stories. I pretty much get a book boner every time I go there. It's fucking magical. I love the people who work there. They are all a little over people but seem to know everything, like reference librarians on speed.

Lately I feel like my mind is begining to atrophy, so I picked up a bunch of books. I simply don't read enough not that my blog has turned me into twitching case of adult ADD.

I got a bunch of stuff, but the very Oregon picks were:

RUNNING ON EMPTINESS by John Zerzan.

And IMPERIAL AMBITIONS by Noam Chomsky. It's written in question/answer for and then grouped into themed sections since this book comes out of a number of interviews. It's GREAT. I can't put it down. It was published in '05.

I am also interested in trying to grow some food year-round since in Seattle we got totally screwed and hardly had a summer at all. My tomato plant yielded only 3. Fucker. So I bought FOUR-SEASON HARVEST by Eliot Coleman. You can read more about his gardening tricks HERE. He lives in Maine, but points out that he gets the same amount of sun as France, so he really just needs to protect winter veggies from wind more than anything. He uses cold frames and then puts a protective plastic hoop around that. He grows so much that he clearly has a big-ass hoop/greenhouse to accomplish this, but I am sure I can cover some raised beds and get a similar result. So that's a future project for me. There is no real news here since people have used greenhouses for a long time, by he promises simple solutions for the home gardener. We'll see.



So that was it. Lots of food, books, and gossiping with my mom. Good times.

8 comments:

David said...

I spent part of yesterday with my mom too, although it was just sitting around my workshop. Mom days are good.

When we're back in a house with a yard I want to grow vegetable, I'm definitely going to look for that gardening book.

Decorina said...

Any part of Oregon is glorious with sun! I wish I were there.

katek said...

*sigh*

I grew up in Eugene and my parents are still there; I never thought I'd get so homesick but after a decade Back East I really, really miss it. I married a New Yorker, though, so there's really no hope of moving back--Boston seems to be as far as he's willing to venture, unless we go to, like, London or Hong Kong.

Tara.Fields said...

You picked a great day to visit. Damn, it's been gorgeous for the past week or so and FINALLY because we got screwed out of a summer, too. It was either pissing rain or brutally hot for months... often in the same week. I've had some nice evenings on the patio with a cocktail and book this week. Ahhhhhh.

mappingkat said...

I love portland. I am going to visit my sister in December and can't wait to spend a day in powells. I could just move in there. total complete love.

paola said...

If you think Seattle hasn't had a summer you must never, ever go and live in London...

The Sale Rack said...

where did you get the coffee mug?? love it!

Decs said...

Those are the mugs the serve in at Mother's Bistro in Portland. Cute, huh? I bet they sell them...