Sunday, January 11, 2009

Signs of spring.



The gardenias, lilac trees, and azaleas are all showing small buds. I can't tell you how happy I was to see signs of life out there. The hydrangeas look like death. Not only did I not deadhead the old blooms (shame on me), but they sat under piles of wildly uncharacteristic snow for days and days and now look emaciated and dead. I am worried they won't come back, but I think I know better.



The hostas. Where are they? Seriously, they are gone. Just a little brown, spindly shoot sticking out of the ground in places where the leafy bastards were once showing off. Will they come back? Was the snow too much for them?

The huge potted climbing hydrangea has suffered thanks to my poor placement. They weren't kidding when they said it was a climber. It's not a climber like, say, jasmine, with its delicate tendrils racing to grow all the way to the sun. This climbing hydrangea has greedy, woody, fat branches that grow aggressive hairy-looking "feet" that want to cling to the brick side of our house. The problem is that I left the pot several feet away from the wall thinking it would be happy to grow up some bamboo supports. I was wrong. The top of the thing is leaning over to the wall, like a kid with his arms out, screaming for momma. Now he's crooked. Damn.

The rosemary and the lavender are like the two receptionists who've worked at the same electrical supply company for 20 years. Just smacking their gum and filing their nails. They've seen it all before. The didn't break during the big storm. They're like, "Whatever, this is nothing." And they go on doing what they do competently and quietly, although probably snickering at the the other employees, like the hostas, and laughing at the boss who was dumb enough to forget to deadhead the flowers.

I'm excited for spring. In the northwest, with this lack of light and permanent state of near-depression of its citizenry, we take any sign of life around here and cling to it. Just like that damn climbing hydrangea.


13 comments:

Jules said...

Your description of the rosemary and lavender is priceless.

Decorina said...

The hostas will be back never fear. They just fade away with cold weather, but bounce back mid-spring to late spring.

Ivy Lane said...

Have faith, everything should come back fine. If the temps dipped too low for too long, the hydrangea may not bloom...mine was shocked last spring with a LATE spring snow storm and although it had tons of foliage, no blooms appeared. Yours should be fine...

I too laughed out loud while reading your description of the lavendar and rosemary! You are too funny..

Jason said...

I'm so jealous that you have signs of spring already. We, on the other hand, have a 10-day forecast with only a handful of positive numbers. So depressing.

Kwana said...

Lucky you. I can't find a sign of spring anywhere. The deep freeze is about to come in and my toes are so cold. I look forward to sunny posts.

Ryan said...

It's funny seeing the same plants from a different point of view. My hostas always turn all yellow in october then get slimy. I don't even know what they might look like if they didn't die back in the winter (i'm on the other side of the state). I love how they grow back in the spring though just the leaves rolled up into points pushing up through the soil.

chanel said...

Hostas- hmmm this I know about!
I live in Edmonton Alberta- Canada- hence we have -30 celcius winters!
The hostas will come back- they survive our winters without any special protection- they are though the last sign of life ---
to poke their heads through the earth in late spring here!

chanel said...

Hostas- hmmm this I know about!
I live in Edmonton Alberta- Canada- hence we have -30 celcius winters!
The hostas will come back- they survive our winters without any special protection- they are though the last sign of life ---
to poke their heads through the earth in late spring here!

puck said...

We are still in winter here.... it is snowing. Spring is a long ways off.

Anonymous said...

I am very, very jealous that you have green things growing in your yard. I have snow on top of ice in mine. In two or three months we'll see the grass again!

projectgirl said...

D. -
that climbing hydrangea will get to be a big bruiser, hairy feet & all. I planted 4 a few years ago and they have covered their trellises & over the top of the arbor, are now advancing on the house. one day i'll wake up & my bedroom windows will be covered over Little Shop of Horrors style.
Think wisteria: you need heavy-duty supports.
enjoy your spring,
csd

Kristin said...

You're sooo lucky to be seeing signs of spring! It's been snowing here all day, and we won't see a bud until April or May. Oh greenery, how I miss you!

Susan W. said...

Don't worry about your hostas. They are the undead of the plant world. If you want to get rid of a hosta, you have to take it out behind the barn and shoot it, and then burn the carcass.