Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mini kitchen update:


I came home yesterday and was like, "What??? What is all this shit?" Drippy patches were hanging from the walls. It was painting day.

And then my better half said, "I think it's like spackle or filler." And then I realized that the painters skim-coated ALL the walls to even them out. Holy cow. So in a moment I went from, "What the fuck?" to "My painters are geniuses!"

I didn't know this was part of the deal. I just expected dudes to paint - simply paint - as I would. But it's a good thing that is not the case because I am the kind of person who would paint a cobweb or a hair into the wall.


-Counters go in early next week.
-Sink is in, but I can't see it because all the cabinets are covered up for the painters.
-New faucet needs to be ordered stat. I am sending the old one back (Everyone was right about the skinny handles.)
-Still need to figure out lighting for two more spots in the kitchen, but I'm not rushing that decision.
-Ditto on the backsplash. No decisions there yet. Oy.
-That's really all that remains to be done. I should be making a mess again in my kitchen by end of next week. Thank the lord.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skim coating makes ALL the difference.

Nikki said...

I am painting my room right now, and realised I painted a cobweb into the wall. I kicked the wall in the face. But it's just primer, so I can still cheat and cover it.
Glad I'm not the only one, lol

Lauren Corbyn said...

Progress is so gratifying! As for backsplash I highly recommend Walker Zanger tiles. I've used them on several recent jobs. My favorites are classics like subway tile. Check out the Soho line. Even their simple white subway tiles have a richness to them. It must be in the glaze... And at least at my favorite local tile store the beveled subway is the same price as the regular subway. I have no idea how this is possible, but I'm a big fan.

Alicia said...

Here are ideas for tile mural installations , tips on framing the tiles and using field tiles to coordinate with the mural.. Considering the use of found vintage labels and a great way to showcase retro art.

http://aliciatappdesigns.com/customer_testimonials.htm

Anonymous said...

Wise not to rush the design decisions. Our cabinets were painted last weekend, and look fantastic. We had the original 1950's metal cabinets electrostatic painted and it was worth every cent. Vintage AND shiny looks incredible. New countertops in today. 2x8 white subway tile (Walker Zanger) goes in this weekend and painters Monday. It's nice when things come together. Especially when you've waited so long and are spending the money, you hope you'll love it long term.

BTW, I hate it when people say paint is cheap. It's not cheap when you're paying someone to do a professional job. They are so worth it, glad you got geniuses this time. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

www.designerplumbingoutlet.com

for your faucet needs, love them, comes faster than you expect, kohler and grohe

Hanako66 said...

I'm excited to see it completed...don't feel bad, I have lived in my home going on 3 years and I still can not come up with a backsplash that I can live with...I also still have the hideous builder included chandelier in my nook.

Kwana said...

Yay! Things are moving.

Krysta said...

there is definitely a long hair painted into my wall. thank goodness it's a rental.

Grace said...

What faucet did you get that you are sending back? What kind of sink did you go with? How are the floors holding up?

Anonymous said...

I thought this post was going to be about tiny kitchens again...mini kitchen update.

Ivy Lane said...

Yeah!!!

susie q said...

Can't wait to see photos. Especially as I look around my horrid kitchen with it's horrid paint job.

fromtherightbank said...

That is SO how I would paint! That's why I hire painters even for the smallest jobs.

Iheartfashion said...

I always end up painting a few paint brush bristles into the wall.

Jennifer said...

i second the walker zanger, i really like their crackle finish subway tiles. not sure the name...

we went plain white subway tiles, the safe (and cheap) bet.

Meg said...

They skim-coated? I am so jealous, partly because I am 1) too lazy to skim-coat and 2) too cheap to pay for someone to paint my house. I am sometimes too lazy to spackle and sand... and sometimes not. Did I mention, though, my jealousy at your beautifully skim-coated walls? From a distance, I already love your painters.
Love the faucet.