Friday, September 11, 2009

New books.

It's almost Christmas (Think about it. I kinda almost really is.) and you know what that means: publishers think this is when they will get you to spend $50 on some coffee table fantasy. And a lot of us will, so here's your roundup:



Italian Touch I am dying to get this. Rumor has it that Anna Dello Russo's house is featured. Fashion people have sexier homes than interior design people, so that should be fun to flip through.






Miss Elle Decor's new book, Style and Substance. When is Elle Decor bad? Never. So this should be pretty god as long as there aren't too many re-runs of stuff we have already seen in the magazine. (What are the odds? Slim, I imagine.)





THIS one seems like a mash note to socialites no one cares about anymore now that people realized they bought their houses with fake money, etc etc. I am a big "no" on this one, but it's the follow-up to last year's 20-pound Hamish Bowles celebration of lives you and I will never, ever, ever have, and, well, since it's my duty to report this kind of style/design stuff to you, here it is. If you want smug Tom & Giselle staring at you on your bookshelf, that's your business.



HueWill you be buying it?





And if Kelly's blast from the 80s past is too much for you (or me), you could get THIS. Kasler's work is the visual equivalent of realizing you still have two more Vicodin pills from your recent injury, taking the day off of work, washing one of them down with a glass of red wine and napping leisurely in the afternoon. Or something like that. And I mean that in the best way.

I kind guess that's it. Have I missed any worth writing about here?

20 comments:

the sweet life with olives said...

hilarious words to review Kassler book. i'm sold! if i were her, i'd take your review and print it on the book to help with sales. seriously hilarious. with a lack of shelter mags these days i kind of feel like getting them all and taking many months to read them... pretending they are all magazines... except maybe the 80's hue thing, i just don't dig it.

giorgia said...

> Fashion people have sexier homes than interior design people

If you have a peep at Roberto Cavalli's house, then you'll have to rethink of this statement (it's so badly *EWW!* you can't even start imagining.)

Anonymous said...

why is kelly wearstler standing with her legs spread apart like that? is she mimicking the chair legs next to her? the pokey-outy things in the vases behind her?

So Haute said...

Looking forward to all of these books but especially Suzanne Kassler's and the Italian touch! Definitely on my xmas list!!

kalliope said...

How about Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", and only $40.00!

style-for-style said...

hmmm, expensive, so I might just take a peek at borders...
no shame.

Iheartfashion said...

Did you see the article about Kelly Wearstler in this week's New Yorker?

Urban Flea said...

You always crack me up! I would definitely also put the whole "vicodin and wine" thing smack dab on the back of my book as well. Keep it up, and hope all is well!

xo Katherine aka. Urban Flea :)

erin ferucci said...

What a gorgeous blog you have done! I will spend my Sunday digging through all of it!!! Thank you!!-erin

Tommy said...

I had heard about a couple of these, but I had not idea how many design books were about to hit shelves. Thanks for sharing!

my favorite and my best said...

this is what borders n noble is for. if they are truly good and not repeats of shit i have already seen i will buy.

C said...

I don't know...Carine Roitfeld's home seemed almost too cold and I was expecting something much sexier, she with the artfully messy hair in your face look! I'd really love to see the other Anna's(Ms Devil wears Prada) home too though.

regina di roma said...

Italian touch,
And here I thought that was when you get
felt up on the bus 40 heading for the Vatican :)
ehhehmmmmm

the paris apartment said...

Oooh these look incredible, I want every one!

laurencorbyn said...

Unrelated comment, but this NYT article's title made me think of you: http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2009/09/13/style/t/index.html#pagewanted=0&pageName=13wakefield&

Alison said...

Don't know about Kelly Wearstler's stance up there. She looks a little bit like a Barbie doll in her Barbie dream house.

Nope, no bendy elbows there.

And then I look at it some more and those chairs look like really weird puffy Angelina lips and those shells filled with tropical items look like eyes, making the space between Kelly's legs a nose...

Oh man, what is this all saying about my mental state?

Anonymous said...

I am relieved that the cover of Kelly Wearstler's new book looks far less offensive than the unfortunate Domino spread. I won't buy, but I will check it out at the store.

Anonymous said...

I get a kick out of reading the women commenters' reactions to the cover of the KW book. The picture stirs up a lot of anxiety. "Is she trying to pose in some way?" "What's she doing?" "What effect is she going for?" etc.

traci said...

I'll be buying the new Jan Showers book, Glamorous Rooms!

Anonymous said...

alcohol dehydrogenase acceptor http://virb.com/acnemed generic accutane medial head of flexor hallucis brevis accutane
fractals [url=http://virb.com/acnemed]accutane insomnia
[/url]