Thursday, October 29, 2009

Big gay sofas.




I get so many lame PR emails every day and I rarely pass any of that business on to you, my faithful, but I did get one from the people over at MG + BW, and I was excited because the sender actually proved to me she read this blog and didn't just send me one of those spammy "Dear Sir/Madam" emails telling me how excited I would be about these carpet tiles or other awful Dwell-ish wingdings. Plus, I am not going to lie, she straight-up admited that the office was giggling over the classy penis chandelier posted HERE.

So, for all those reasons, Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams get love from me, and I shall give love to their new book, which you can buy HERE.


And since I am on a big gay rights bandwagon (in fact, at this very moment, I am wearing pleather, a cockring, and speed-reading James Baldwin and Gore Vidal books as a silent vigil until Seattle votes YES ON 71...) I figure our friends Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams deserve a little shout out for this:


Mitchell and Bob are seen as a major force for gay rights by many, including The Human Rights Campaign, where Mitchell served on the board for seven years. Out magazine named him to 2007’s “Top 50 Most Powerful Gay People in America”, and The Advocate gave him a 2006 “People of the Year Award.” In 2005, Mitchell founded Faith In America, a non-profit working to end religion-based bigotry against LGBT Americans (www.faithinamerica.com). Last fall, Mitchell published CRISIS: 40 Stories Revealing the Personal, Social, and Religious Pain & Trauma of Growing Up Gay in America and received the Stonewall Community Foundation’s distinguished Visionary Award for his work. Bob also makes design contributions, such as creating table settings for Elle D├ęcor’s Dining by Design, a benefit for DIFFA, and styling rooms for The Hamptons Designer Showhouse by House & Garden, benefiting Southampton Hospital.

16 comments:

David said...

MG & BW are also very good to the dogs, which as a two-schnauzer-owning gay, makes me very happy.

Anonymous said...

Dearest,

You've made yourself a squeaking target for every douchebag in Washington; non-breathing pleather brings out Michelle Pfeiffer fetishes and a cockring simply frames your cleavage. I can't suggest an alternative because boobies distract me - don't want them but - Look! Boobies! Yeah, sorry.

These two gents have achieved much in spite of being involved with The Ladies Who Lunch AKA HRC. I hope their book does well.

As far as couches go.... like a lemming, I bought an empire daybed (couch) from PB - I didn't even know I was required to shop there until someone called me 'potterybarn queen' - and threw a bunch of their jacquard velvet on it.

It's been a year and it looks old lady stale. I'd like to butch it up, but I want plaid - jewel toned plaid with orange and purple in it. I want the fabric to look crisp - not too thin. I do not want that nubby chenille shit. Oh, and I'm praying I can pull 16 yards of fabric out of my ass for less than $17 a yard.

Any good fabric sources? *no longer allowed in Joann.

The non-obese Midwest gays love you back, but I haven't heard from the tubby ones. We'll give you those, too.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

I have to say that I love them for being so open and communicative about who they are. It makes the brand so much more attractive! Back when I first saw the webpage about their dog Lulu, I was sold. I actually got teary when Lulu died. I probably shouldn't have written that. Oh well.

Anyway, I was told that the MGBW crew monitors blogs for mentions of their products. I only found this out after a delivery delay for an item I ordered. I wrote about it on my blog and I had calls from the delivery company and the store where my order was placed within hours. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

"non-breathing pleather brings out Michelle Pfeiffer fetishes"

Most unfathomable sentence of the day.

mary said...

The Silk Trading Company in Los Angeles is having an ENORMOUS sale. They are changing the concept of the store; so anonymous could look there (online) for great and cheap fabric.

Anonymous said...

"MG & BW are also very good to the dogs"

It would probably be more accurate to say "MG & BW are also very good at making ads with dogs."

Penelope Bianchi said...

I can only say this: ANYONE WHO DOES NOT LOVE GAYS HAS NOT ONE IOTA OF BRAIN IN HIS/her head!!.
In fact; has no brain.

I adore, adore adore......gay men (especially)! Not to discriminate....I am a decorator...and I actually know only a few female gays.....AND THEY ARE MY FAVORITE WOMEN! (NOT DECORATORS!!)

SO STUPIDITY, AND IGNORANCE REIGNS.

OF COURSE THEY ARE GOOD TO DOGS! THEY ARE EVOLVED AND SENSITIVE AND CREATIVE PEOPLE!

fab blog! love the floating house.....love the cottage! YIKES!!!

PENELOPE

ps the non-breathing "pleather" (I think that pleather means fake leather that is plastic? would that be the p?) Just a guess.

I got that comment until the Michelle Pfieiffer reference. Lost. totally. Have no knowledge of that fetish. I hope it is fun for you!

pps sorry. Anyone who buys a "couch" (correct term: sofa" ) at PB has serious problems.

This "anonymous" (any way to tell them apart?) knows he has made a mistake.....so! He will never be a "lemming" again! BRAVO!!! What a great lesson!! I APPLAUD HIM!!! (or her) I tend to think most anonymouses (ha! anonymi? or anonymice!!!?) are men!

I don't know any women who would want to be anonymous with their opinions! Am I wrong?

the lesson in the PB sofas and chairs.......DANGER!!
The arms are way too fat! The entire thing is too fat! Short and fat. no more seating space......And these poor people look at the darn thing in a warehouse size space....and think it will fit through the door?
Those sofas and chairs at PB should come with warning labels.

Honestlyl
There OUGHTTA be a LAW!!!!!
Penelope

Anonymous said...

the michelle pfeiffer reference is to cat woman/bat man movie...if that helps. it's still an odd sentence, but heartfelt.

you are so precious. first i see no posts, then WHAM-O! posts galore. all brilliant, funny, informative.

Orsalia said...

LOVE MG & BW and love YOU, Decorno. Right there with you on the Lulu thing, Jeanine, and not afraid to admit it.

Anonymous said...

Good thing you turned the commenting back on, right?

Decorno said...

Seriously. I don't even know what to do. Except shut them off again and just keep emailing you. That might be the only answer.

Anonymous said...

"I can only say this: ANYONE WHO DOES NOT LOVE GAYS HAS NOT ONE IOTA OF BRAIN IN HIS/her head!!."

Penelope: I feel the same way about The Colored.

Decorno said...

To be fair, I do say "The Gays" a lot on this blog. But I think in a post post post ironic way. Or something.

She's a half-cup of crazy, but I still love Pen.

Plus. she single-handedly keeps ALL CAPS in business, so that's a good thing for the economy.

Anonymous said...

Agree; it's the "The" that makes "The Gays" so delicous.

Richard said...

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin is a lovely book, but I tend to feel conflicted about Gore Vidal. I love his bizarre sci-fi-ish larks, like Kalki, Live From Golgotha, and The Smithsonian Institute, but his more serious stuff bores me, and his ground-breaking gay novel, The City and the Pillar, leaves me totally cold. However, I did love his house in Italy that he had to sell because he was too old to navigate it. It was built into a cliffside, and had like, 17 levels to it.

The Blasphemous Fiendess said...

My favourite gay icon is Big Gay AL