Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wow.







HERE.

It's Thursday, and you know what that means... The New York Times practically writes my post for me. (Thanks, Big T!)

I present to you this Las Vegas treasure in all its glue-gunned glory. You can't really hate this place or these people. PURE LOVE:

Mr. Hart, a singer and composer whose gospel musical, “Sisterella,” counted Michael Jackson among its producers, created all eight bedrooms: the four-poster swags made of bed sheets; the ruched silk ceilings; the gold-leafed armchairs, which he bought 30 years ago for $10 apiece and gold-leafed himself.

“All my family has a black belt in shopping, and we have radar when something is 70 percent off,” Mr. Hart said.

Understood. But why so much?

“I’m just from Texas,” Ms. Hart said. “I like it big.”



And:


On arrival, though, it was clear that informal is something the Harts do not do. A round table had been set in the grand foyer with a printed menu, and red napkins were stuffed into black patent-leather stilettos on each plate. Tiny glass slippers had been hot-glued to the side of wineglasses from the local Dollar Tree store (a precarious gig for the reporter’s slipper, which fell off in her hand). More glass shoes had been glued to a six-foot silver-and-faux-candle candelabra.

Holy shit!

Mr. Hart wrote a song called “Big Hair Gets You Closer to God." I just thought you should know.



More from the article:


Ms. Hart began renting out the house for weddings in the mid-’80s, though she also officiated at Las Vegas chapels. She’s had her share of celebrities but is proud to say she’s always been discreet.

But weddings can be grueling, and disgruntled modern brides, aided by the Internet, vicious. “Totally run-down, tacky fake flowers everywhere, roaches, brought-in food and located in a horrible part of town with no outside ambience,” groused one, under the name travilyaya, on tripadvisor.com, with the heading “Do NOT Do It There.”

That review hurt Ms. Hart horribly — it was “not remotely accurate,” she said. But since she is getting on and is sick of mopping all those floors, she recently put the Hartland Mansion up for sale, for $8.5 million.

Larry, who now runs an events company called Botanica Las Vegas with his partner, Michael Flach, lives in a town house in the suburbs, and Ms. Hart often stays at her condo at the Las Vegas Country Club. The 34-pound bedspread in her grand bedroom at the Hartland Mansion is too heavy for her, she said, and when she does stay there, she sleeps in a workroom littered with bills.

The only family member who still lives at Hartland full time is Garry, in a suite off limits to reporters and reportedly utterly free of pearls.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

The brown draped bedroom wasn't too bad. I love the picture of Delta Burke on the mirrored piano!

Anonymous said...

They are having more fun than 99 percent of the pinched, spindly Hamptons homeowners that Elle Decor covers.

The Zhush said...

Wow. I just don't get what that toilet is doing in the Barbie inspired daughter's bedroom....oh, wait.

Quatorze said...

Not kitsch enough to be fun and not remotely refined enough to carry off its intentions. "Yikes" is perhaps a better monicker than "wow"

penelopebianchi said...

Dear God! I had just finished reading the newsprint version (I am a dinosaur.....don't tell me)! Then I went to my email......there you were!

I was sitting down; but still went weak in the knees.

Speechless.

I will tell you one thing! "Sisterella" was one of the best darn plays I ever saw! It disappeared! I saw it at the "Pasadena Playhouse!"

I expected to take my daughter (whose name is Ella) to see it on Broadway! (I think it never made it!)

I am still recovering from the shoes glued to the glasses.

How much can one take? YIKES!!!!

Penelope

ps there is another mirrored piano in Las Vegas.......or was.....in the Liberace suite in Caesar's
Palace!!! I wonder if that is where he got some of his ideas?? Same piano? Or one of many????

FoundVintageStyle said...

Wow indeed.
Only in Las Vegas!

Lovely Little Nest said...

haha oh my gosh is that real? I can't possibly be...

my favorite and my best said...

something is fishy about the bride who dissed the place...what was she expecting?

Nikki said...

I would love to share a meal with these people. Love what they can do with DIY, but there is a line. Or perhaps it just isn't my taste.

Nick Klaus said...

Mark this in the 'more money than taste' column, right next to any supercar painted pink.

rebecca said...

Someone should tell this guy that tacky glue refers to level of adhesion and is not a decor suggestion.

I'm willing to overlook all the stuff on hard surfaces (except bedazzled toilets), even give kudos on accomplishing this look on a small budget. Certainly, the guy has worked his ass off.

But how nice can glue on fabric feel?

On an unrelated note, I'm just waiting for my landlord to suggest "the exterior is 'distressed by choice,' for security’s sake."

David said...

I've known men like this.

A new supervisor came to work at the call center I worked at in college. Finding out I was in art school he asked if I could paint a mural of Joan Crawford in his entry.

My answer: "I can, but I won't."

Anonymous said...

Why would this story be in The New York Times? What could New Yorkers possibly find interesting about this story? Can't they find some New Yorkers who actually have style? It's a mystery. An insult to the readers, really. Like we're expected to swallow this, just because it's in The Times.

Penelope Bianchi said...

Oh! I just had the courage to examine more closely the "mirrored piano"! (I could not examine more closely the rest of it! I am just too old to erase this sort of thing!)

i was wrong!!

The mirrored piano in the "Liberace suite" at "Caesar's Palace" was a "grand piano"

Someone who had a little" upright" piano liked the idea and copied it. Oh Dear God.

This sort of coverage of this sort of "decorating" could infect many generations.

You think?

Penelope Bianchi said...

how funny is that? we both said "yikes" within minutes of each other. When was the last time you heard "Yikes!"?

Eliza Coleman said...

oh my god.

bruno said...

If it makes 'em happy (and they sure look happy), then god bless 'em.

Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

I am seriously OBSESSED with these people. Talk about some flair.

Richie Designs said...

it's true ...

The Bigger The Hair, The Closer To God

We were all like THIS [crossing fingers] with the big guy in the 80's. Some more than other leading the charge.

Maria said...

heh, i was just looking at these pics yesterday and i think the hair on the backs of my arm stood up when they i read the words glue gun.

COCOCOZY said...

The mirrored piano is hilarious!

xo
Coco
COCOCOZY

KELLI said...

Shit! Texas is NOT all beef and big hair.

Lolo said...

I bet they've got cozies for their toilet paper.

Anne (in Reno) said...

I kind of love this. I wouldn't want to live there, or get married there, but the word that comes to mind is "exuberant". Go Larry. He does pretty good-looking work, tack factor aside. I was impressed at how good the piano looked. Not that anyone should own a mirrored upright piano, but he did a good job.

Basically, I have to agree with Anon 6:09 pm.

Iheartfashion said...

The toilet confuses me. I like my bathrooms easily identifiable.

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas, but this is like Liberace and David Lynch stuffing themselves with fried fair food, then riding the ferris wheel together at the State Fair of Texas and throwing up all over Mary Kay.

"How...dy...folks!"

Anonymous said...

David: Why not?

callenwo said...

This is proof positive that there should be a seven-day waiting period before being able to buy a glue gun...

LB said...

I liked most of that. Except the awful piano and the pink bathroom. Though the painting in the bathroom was awesome.

reclamationdesign@yahoo.com said...

I love Decorno, but this nonsense is why you should get back to writing your own blog when you have the time. We know you're busy, but ...

Anonymous said...

"Not that anyone should own a mirrored upright piano, but he did a good job."

I LOVE this comment. Love it.

Anonymous said...

I loved this piece and the place.

Fave quote:

"“I like gluing things to other things,” Mr. Hart said, by now stating the obvious. "

Marian McEvoy must be green with envy.

Anonymous said...

The New York Times keeps pissing away their equity. Fake populism at its worst. To channel Penelope: No, no, NO!

Kristin said...

I'll second reclamation design. Decorno, I miss your snarky musings. What I wouldn't give for another "things that are wrong" installment.

Decorno said...

As soon as you guys start paying me, I will write more original content.

Anonymous said...

Please don't channel Penelope. Neither of you will be served well.

MoreSkinnyDays said...

Decorno, I live in Los Angeles and have tried so hard to visit Dos Gallos, but they're never open! I was hoping that during my Christmas Vacation I'd get to see the place, but they were closed the week between Christmas and New Years. Do I have to take a day off work?

Penelope Bianchi said...

Oh hi!

"more skinny days"!

You live in Los Angeles.....and you don't know that absolutely everything closes down the week between Christmas and New Years? ( In the design world only). We just chill!

Must be your first year. Please stay. Just know that is "down time" Go somewhere (unless you like where you are).....however; no business goes on during the week between Christmas and New Years
in Los Angeles. Take a break!

Even in the middle of the biggest recession I have seen in my 40 years of business......nothing happens between Christmas and New Years. I find it very civilized. I relax. I love it!

Penelope

ps I am guessing that the anonymous of Feb 25 6:09 is the same anonymous of feb 28 10:14 pm. Feb 26th ???? 7:08??

I bet I got that right! If not: please notify! Just a guess! I think I found a common thread!
Very interesting!

Penelope

ps if you want to know why? ask me!

ps did I piss off "anonymous" again? These "a"'s simply must number themselves.

Or....I guess I can hone my skills recognizing which ones are friendly......and the minefield. I'll start working on that.

Penelope Bianchi said...

LOve "Anonymous Feb 27th 10:39! Thanks!

You knew exactly what I wanted to say!

And then the next Anonymous......shot us both down.

I don't get "angry"; do you? I think I have no time for "angry"! Do you?

I wonder who does have time for "angry"!?? No one I know does.
They "spew" anger. It puts my teeth to sleep!

Penelope

Anonymous said...

I draw the glue-gun line at toilets and Mother.