Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Some people said they did not own televisions."



Late Friday night, a long line wrapped around the Mission Theater. People waiting hoped a space would open up inside, where the first episode of “Portlandia” was about to be shown to a packed house. Some people said they did not own televisions — or that they did not get IFC.

“It’s got to be a little elitist, you know,” said Tony Robinson, working as the doorman. “That’s part of the Portland thing, too.”




Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!! Of COURSE a bunch of them don't have televisions. Totally brilliant.

There is so much to love about this show (especially as a Portland native), and so much to love in this article, especially the TV line. Oh, Portland. You are so cute.

Portland... where young people go to retire.


HERE.

7 comments:

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

I'm dying to see this!
I heard a piece about it on NPR and was in stitches in the carpool line.
We didn't own a tv for many years when I was a kid and I don't feel the least bit slighted (she says as she clings for dear life to her computer's keyboard).
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Anonymous said...

Portland... where young people go to retire. You need to make that into tee shirts

Decorno said...

Anon - I wish I could take credit. It's a line from episode 1 and it killed me. BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. I remember somehow managing to live off of nearly nothing and still eat at Wildwood a few times a week. Something about Portland economics/shared housing-slash-illegal-apartments/not needing a car meant you could live really well while not being all that employed. It was amazing. AMAZING.

aigin larki said...

the dream of the 90's is alive in portland

Gina Mosca said...

Ha. That line about retiring in Portland hit me hard because just yesterday I was driving down snowy I-93 here in Boston thinking, "I should move to Portland. I could just hang out at Powell's all the time. I guess they have shows there...yeah, Douglas Fir! Oh, we'd be fine there. I guess it rains a lot, but you don't have to shovel that."

Megan @ Lovely Happenings said...

"you can put a bird on something and call it art"

I call the lovely, crazy place of Portland home.

Edie said...

From one native daughter to another,

Please don't encourage more over-educated-unmotivated-I'm a food server in Portland which means that my job is to give the worst service possible and still expect a 20% tip-ironic facial hair rocking asswipes to move here! Please D, please! Think about it...the more of them who come, the less likely it is that DJ will be available for the next taxi cab confession.

Still mad at you but with love,

E