Thursday, June 28, 2012

omg, this is so embarrassing.




Well, for those following along, yesterday I posted HERE inviting people to tell me their problems and I would solve them.


One of many entries was this:





Anonymous said...
Received a "no confidence" vote from my employer, i.e. was demoted this morning. Will still have to report for the peacocks. This is a real problem. Appreciate your advice Decorno!


Ann Curry

Oh Ann! Clearly I didn't respond in time because you woke up, went to work, and cried all over the fucking place! If I could get into my time machine, this would be my advice: 
Don't cry on your last day. It's a fucking morning show that no one watches. You got demoted and you get to keep a ton of money. Where's the problem?  There is no crying out in the open at work, especially when your work is being filmed.


Why would the network allow her this moment? No one gets to take a bawling victory lap at my office. You get cake, and you go. That's it. Professional, dignified, full of sugar, carbs, and vacation pay.

Enjoy your $20M "failure" and thanks for setting women back a few years with your self-pitying goodbye.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was fucking pathetic.

The sad thing is she is a bad-ass journalist who is perfectly comfortable in a war zone and the fact that she is not going to do anymore 'Eat This Not That' segments broke her heart?? Please.

Anonymous said...

Aw, I have to admit I got a little teary-eyed with her. Even though I agree that being a news reporter suits her better and is a far more impressive gig, it's still got to be tough to step down from such a high-profile position in the public eye when:

a) it's not your choice
b) the media is breathlessly discussing who will replace you before you've even left

Decorno said...

Totally agree that it wasn't her choice and all the tabloid-y rumor mongering was probably unpleasant. That said, I don't think she should have made a big weepy deal about it on TV. Cry on your own time. Be sad. But pull it together. No one gets to act like this in any other corporate environment. It was just really uncomfortable. I blame NBC for giving her so much time to have that really uncomfortable moment.

Anonymous said...

As a female carpenter, I always tell the (rare) new female hire " Unless you cut your finger off, there are no tears on the jobsite"

Decorno said...

I don't even think I would cry if I lost a finger... not because I wouldn't want to, I just think that, physically, my whole brain and body would be so busy helping my mouth yell, "OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!" that I wouldn't even be able to produce tears.

stephendrucker said...

Alessandra Stanley nails it yet again in today's NYT: "Ms. Curry turned to the camera and delivered a tearful farewell that was gallant and also embarrassingly maudlin and grandiose and that pretty much summed up why she got the hook after just one year in the host chair next to Matt Lauer."

stephendrucker said...

Alessandra Stanley nails it yet again in today's NYT: "Ms. Curry turned to the camera and delivered a tearful farewell that was gallant and also embarrassingly maudlin and grandiose and that pretty much summed up why she got the hook after just one year in the host chair next to Matt Lauer."

amvance said...

i bet she's a wonderful, caring person but that moment should have been behind the scenes, with her co-workers and peers, not broadcast.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch morning tv - too busy trying to get out the door, but if I had to spend the morning with Al, Matt, Savanah and whoever else I suspect I would cry with tears of joy at the release. I think she was crying because they couldn't give her a decent good bye, just the kick out the door - good riddance. Do we really need to be down trodden so much by our corporate puppet masters? I think her vulnerability was a little refreshing. America has lost touch with feelings and people in the quest for the might profit.

Anonymous said...

cry or not ann curry will always be remembered as a class act. it's not for any of you to judge. firstly, you're just a blogger and, even worse, we're all responding to a blogger's meaningless post.

rosanna