Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Here's my new thing: I am trying to bring a little more humanity to my day. So, I bought a used copy of a wonderful book called Life is Meals. And every morning when I get into my office, while I fire up email (but before I get sucked into it) I read that day's passage.

Life is Meals is a very smart, well-read book of days by James and Kay Salter. Each day is about a page an a half dedicated to some food topic. Great historical moments in food. Small appreciations of, say, a peach. A story of strangers with a broken-down car invited into someone's home for dinner to wait it out. It's tender, but not sappy. And often useful.

Today's passage is about Julia Child. They write:

"During her career she wrote ten cookbooks, all of them noted for their clarity. She once said that her ideal house would have just two rooms, a bedroom and a kitchen, and when she was asked what her guilty pleasures were, replied, 'I don't have any guilt.'"

I like her style.

14 comments:

mamacita said...

Don't be human, D, it's beneath you.

Decorno said...

Good point.

Anonymous said...

Is the Italian culture rubbing off on you?

Anonymous said...

James Salter is also a novelist, short story writer, and Korean War-era fighter pilot.

(The more you know...)

Anonymous said...

Whenever I take a bath, my husband reads that day's entry (entree?) to me. I've made the carbonara recipe--it's good. Check out A Sport and a Pastime, also by James Salter.

Robin Horton/Urban Gardens said...

Love how you start your morning with a passage from this. I am buying this book today. Are the recipes good too?

peneleopebianchi said...

I have decided.....to come back!

I once saw Tony Duquette in the Montecito 7-Eleven!

Paige said...

I like Julia's style.

Rachael Horovitz said...

I have read this book nearly every day since first discovering it in 2009. It is infinitely nourishing.

penelopebianchi said...

Julia was my cousin by marriage (two "step"s!
I met her when I was 10 for the first time. She was an enormous "STAR" in my life!

She was truly "larger than life"; taught me how to make "monkey bread" in the kitchen when a whole brunch formal thing was going on; and always said........"HELLO COUSIN" in her sing-song delightful voice whenever I saw her anywhere for 50 years! I saw her often in Santa Barbara!

A delight beyond!

Penelope

ps I forgot to say "klunk"! I dropped a name!

Oh dear!
That is the imposter again! " the Montecito 7-eleven"

(Not me......is there anything we can do about that? I haven't even been keeping track!)

I do not understand why one would do this! To discredit me?

What, if anything can I do? or You? so discouraging!

Anonymous said...

Penelope:

Don't flounce off and say you're never coming back...and then come back.

Juliy said...

Hello sexy how are you

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Karma Travel Wheelchair

Keep Posting:)

Wheelchair said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Wheelchair Transportation

Keep Posting:)